What are the essential services and software for a PHP developer?
I have been working as a backend developer since 2005, and after several setup changes and tests, based on my personal experience, the essential stack for a PHP developer is:
- a Mac computer (Macbook Air M1 with 16Gb RAM is perfect)
- a Google Workspace mailbox (and its services such as Meet, Docs, Drive, etc. - https://workspace.google.it)
- a Github account (https://github.com)
- a Jira account (Jira is free for up to 10 users — https://jira.atlassian.com)
- vscode (https://code.visualstudio.com)
- Docker Desktop (https://www.docker.com/products/docker-desktop)
- Insomnia Rest (https://insomnia.rest)
- Table Plus (https://tableplus.com)
Why this stack?
I think these services, hardware, and software can simplify your work life!
- Apple OS is a powerful OS, simple, stable, and powerful for dev needs
- Google Workspace is an incredible suite made for collaboration
- Jira is helpful to manage daily tasks, sprints, and customer tickets
- vscode is a free IDE within several practical extensions so it’s a perfect editor for your code!
- Docker Desktop lets you run your projects containers with few clicks
- Insomnia Rest is a light tool to test REST API endpoints
- Table Plus is a powerful database desktop manager